My Reading Pile (1)

 My Reading Pile is a meme hosted by Rachel over at Fiktshun. Every I'll list all the books I've read in the past week and four books I plan on reading over the upcoming week. I hope you enjoy. (The picture above is from Fiktshun)

Past Week:
Read:
My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake #1) by Chelsea M. Cameron
Two secrets. One bet. Who will break first?

Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him.

On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, so she needs him gone before it's too late.

Hunter himself has been burned before, but Taylor's sexy laugh and refusal to let him get away with anything make her irresistible. Determined not to be kicked out of her life without a fight, Hunter proposes a bet: if she can convince him she either truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment;and leave her alone.

But when the man behind Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.


-------------------------------------------------------
 I've read this one before, but I wanted to re-read it before I read the sequel. I enjoyed it just as much the second time, and had actually forgotten most of the plot line, so I was anxious to re-discover Taylor's and Hunter's secret.

My Sweetest Escape (My Favorite Mistake #2) by Chelsea M. Cameron
The past will always find you.

Jos Archer was the girl with the perfect life; until the night it all came crashing down around her. Now, nine months later, she still hasn't begun to pick up the pieces. Even transferring to a new college and living under the watchful eye of her older sister, Renee, isn't enough to help her feel normal again.

And then she meets Dusty Sharp. For reasons Jos can't begin to fathom, the newly reformed campus bad boy seems determined to draw her out of her shell. And if she's not careful, his knowing green eyes and wicked smile will make her feel things she's no longer sure she deserves.

But even as Dusty coaxes Jos to open up about the past, he's hiding secrets of his own. Secrets about the night her old life fell apart. When the truth is finally revealed, will it bring them closer together;or tear them apart for good?


--------------------------------------
 I received an eARC from the publisher to read and review.

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
Amazon.com Review: "Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood," writes Frank McCourt in Angela's Ashes. "Worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood." Welcome, then, to the pinnacle of the miserable Irish Catholic childhood. Born in Brooklyn in 1930 to recent Irish immigrants Malachy and Angela McCourt, Frank grew up in Limerick after his parents returned to Ireland because of poor prospects in America. It turns out that prospects weren't so great back in the old country either--not with Malachy for a father. A chronically unemployed and nearly unemployable alcoholic, he appears to be the model on which many of our more insulting cliches about drunken Irish manhood are based. Mix in abject poverty and frequent death and illness and you have all the makings of a truly difficult early life. Fortunately, in McCourt's able hands it also has all the makings for a compelling memoir.

-----------------------------
 I've been reading this one for school and thank goodness I'm done with it. It's a powerful story about McCourt's life, but some of things in it, I just didn't want to know. Things get kind of weird, but there were parts that definitely touched my heart. I do really enjoy McCourt's writing style. It's different and interesting, particularly the way he doesn't use quotation marks.

In the Lyrics by Nacole Stayton
Hensley Bradley is the definition of the girl-next-door. She’s kindhearted, beautiful, and talented. Bored with her mundane life, thoughts of fleeing her small town begin to consume her. With aspiring dreams to use her voice as a one-way ticket, she suddenly discovers that music might not be her only passion.

After a fallout back home, Colby Grant decides to leave his family’s farm, determined to show his father he’s more than just a wanna-be country singer. With his All-American good looks, it doesn’t take long for girls in his new town to focus their eyes on him. But things aren’t what they appear from the outside, and it isn’t long until Colby feels he doesn't fit into the perfect world that so quickly embraced him.

A chance encounter places Hensley in Colby’s path, but it isn’t her natural beauty that first captures his attention – it’s her voice.

When love and music mix, will the combination blossom into a beautiful melody or wither into a heart-wrenching tune?


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I fell in love with this novel. I can't wait to share my review of it with you guys on Tuesday!

Reviewed (covers link to review):
http://gabicreads.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-silent-swan-by-lex-keating.htmlhttp://gabicreads.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-waiting-game-american-gypsy-2-by-jl.htmlhttp://gabicreads.blogspot.com/2014/02/stained-by-cheryl-rainfield.html

http://gabicreads.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-sweetest-escape-my-favorite-mistake.html


Upcoming Week:
United We Spy (Gallagher Girls #6) by Ally Carter
Cammie Morgan has lost her father and her memory, but in the heart-pounding conclusion to the best-selling Gallagher Girls series, she finds her greatest mission yet. Cammie and her friends finally know why the terrorist organization called the Circle of Cavan has been hunting her. Now the spy girls and Zach must track down the Circle’s elite members to stop them before they implement a master plan that will change Cammie—and her country—forever.

------------------------------------------
I'm sad to see this series go. But I need to finish this book, because I've been borrowing it from a friend for a couple months and it's just been sitting there and she's been bugging me.
Kiss the Sky (Addicted) by Krista & Becca Ritchie
Virgin. Sex addict. Daredevil. Alcoholic. Smartass … Jackass. Her five friends are about to be filmed. Reality TV, be prepared.

Rose Calloway thought she had everything under control. At twenty-three, she’s a Princeton graduate, an Academic Bowl champion, a fashion designer and the daughter of a Fortune 500 mogul. But with a sex addict as a sister and roommate, nothing comes easy.

After accepting help from a producer, Rose agrees to have her life filmed for a reality television show. The Hollywood exec is her last chance to revive her struggling fashion line, and boundaries begin to blur as she’s forced to make nice with a man who always has his way.

Twenty-four-year-old Connor Cobalt is a guy who bulldozes weak men. He’s confident, smart-as-hell and lives with his equally ambitious girlfriend, Rose Calloway. Connor has to find a way to protect Rose without ruining the show. Or else the producer will get what Connor has always wanted—Rose’s virginity.

This New Adult Standalone Romance can be described as Friends meets The Real World. Expect fist fights, drugs, sex of varying degrees, crude humor and competitive alpha males. Definitely for mature readers audiences only.

***Authors' Note***
Kiss the Sky CAN be read as a standalone, but it's also a spin-off of the Addicted series. If you'd like to read the Addicted series beforehand, you should read all of them in order before reading Kiss the Sky or else the time jumps will be jarring. 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an eARC from the author's and since the book released a little over a week ago, I need to get on reading it. I love Lo and Lily, and am excited to get another perspective on all of the characters. It will be interesting comparing Lily's view of everyone to Rose's view of everyone.

Traumatic Brain Injury by Connie Goldsmith
Two soccer players collide on the field. A soldier in Afghanistan is thrown to the ground during a bomb explosion. A teen has an accident while riding her bike--and she isn't wearing her helmet. Each of these incidents can produce a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Of the 1.7 million Americans officially diagnosed with TBI each year, 52,000 die from their injuries. And that doesn't count all the unreported TBIs, which experts estimate range from about two to four million more incidents.

---------------------------------------
I got this one via Netgalley because it sounded interesting. I want to become a nurse, so medical books always interest me.

In Bloom (The Brightside #1) by Katie Delahanty
My name is Olivia Bloom and I. Am. Free.
I left for LA with everything I owned piled into my old Volkswagen and dreams of becoming a costume designer. Little did I know I’d wind up designing for a lingerie company—yeah, not sure how I landed this gig—and taken under the wing of two young Hollywood insiders. The fashion shows and parties were great, but life really got exciting when the seriously hottest lead singer of my favorite band started to fall for me. 
How does someone like me, an ordinary girl from Pittsburgh, wind up in the arms of the world’s sexiest rock star—surrounded by celebrities, fashion, and music—and not be eaten alive? Berkeley is everything I've ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, but the paparazzi, the tabloids, the rumors, it's all getting a bit too crazy. My life has become every girl’s dream come true, if only I don’t blink and lose it all…

--------------------------------------
 I have an ARC via Netgalley and it releases this week, so why not?

Comments