Event Recap: Ruta Sepetys and Steve Sheinkin

It's been a busy couple of weeks! This was my final author event of the month. Ruta Sepetys and Steve Sheinkin were hosted by the St. Charles County Library and Main Street Books. I love Sepetys's two Holocaust novels, Between Shades of Grey and Salt to the Sea so I was so excited to get hear her speak about her books in person! I am not familiar with Sheinkin's work, but it was nice to hear him speak about writing their new book together when they didn't previously know each other.

The event was free, but to enter the signing line you had to buy a copy of The Bletchley Riddle. I was not super interested in this book at first, but after hearing both of them talk about it, I can't wait to read it!


The night started off with the two discussing how they came to partner up for this book and then they discussed their different writing processes and how they combined those for The Bletchley Riddle. Sheinkin writes non fiction and Sepetys writes historical fiction so hearing how they each had to adapt their styles to write this middle grade historical fiction was interesting. Sepetys hinted that she is writing a Vietnam war novel currently and that we might get a Jonestown novel at some point.


Both authors signed my copy of The Bletchley Riddle and Sepetys signed my copies of her other books. While in line, Sheinkin stated he was working on a couple of graphic so that'll be something I keep my eyes out for. Both of them were so nice and kind and it was a joy to meet them!



Comments