When the Moon Hatched (Moonfall #1) by Sarah A Parker

 
The Creators did not expect their beloved dragons to sail skyward upon their end. To curl into balls just beyond gravity’s grip, littering the sky with tombstones. With moons.

They certainly did not expect them to fall.

As a valued Elding Blade of the rebellion group Fíur du Ath, Raeve’s job is to kill. To complete orders and never get caught. When a renowned bounty hunter is employed by The Crown to capture a member of the Ath, Raeve’s world is turned upside down. Blood spills, hearts break, and Raeve finds herself at the mercy of the Guild of Nobles—a group of dual-beaded elementals who intend to turn her into a political statement. Only death will set her free.

Crushed beneath a mourning weight, Kaan Vaegor took the head of a king and donned his melted crown. Now on a tireless quest to assuage the never-ebbing ache in his chest, his hunt for a moonshard lures him into the belly of Gore’s notorious prison where he stumbles upon something that rips apart his perception of reality. A shackled miracle with eyes full of rage and blood on her hands.

The echo of the past sings louder than the Creators themselves, and even Raeve can’t ignore the truths blaring at her from a warmer, happier time.
However.
There’s more to this song than meets the eye, and some truths …
They’re too poisonous to swallow.

When the Moon Hatched is a fast-paced fantasy romance for fans of witty banter and strong, sassy protagonists. Beneath the cover is an immersive, vibrant world with mysterious creatures, a unique magic system, and a love that blazes through the ages.

---------------------
First line:
The world began with five.
---------------------
Source:
Kindle Unlimited
---------------------
Rating:
5 Moons out of 5
---------------------
This book had me hooked from the first sentence and never let go. The writing, the pacing, the characters, the romance, the magic was all just on pointe and fantastic. Raeve is an assassin for the rebellion group who encounters a man while on the job that fascinates her and just keeps showing up where she is. When tragedy strikes, he aids her, but is he helping her because it's the right thing to do or does he have an ulterior motive?

I love the magic system and how it’s connected to the creators. I really hope we dive more into the how fae learn the words of the Creators and really get to see more of this magic being used in the sequels. Magic is connected to the language of the Creators. Only certain fae can hear the songs of the Creators, and most of the time they can only hear one Creator. To be able to harness the magic, one must learn the language of that Creator. So one's strength in magic depends on how many Creators they can hear, as well as their ability to learn their language and speak it.

The foreshadowing was perfect, laying down the pieces of the puzzle to be put together, but still anticipating the big reveals even if you had most of the puzzle together. I am excited for a re-read to see what pieces I can pick up that I didn't before.

Reading on my Kindle was at time difficult, because the author has incorporated a few pictures with writing on them (like a note with cursive writing on it and a knife with some writing on it). On my Kindle Paperwhite, I wasn't able to enlarge the photos to read the picture. So I had to pull up my Kindle app on my phone in order to enlarge the photo to read.

I still have so many questions that I need answers to right now but the next book doesn’t come out until Fall 2025. I've already pre-ordered the US hardcover and I'm so excited to get my hands on in this Fall! I includes stained edges, an embossed dust jacket, and character art endpapers!

I am obsessed with this book. It is the first book I've read that I have felt is just as good as Throne of Glass by SJM. I'm really hoping that Parker can carry everything I love into the next two books so that they are just as good or better than this one!


Comments