Early Review: Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch

I was bred to be the perfect pet. I was bred for my beauty and grace, to be a showpiece, an ornament to sit upon the couch, to sing, to dance, to play the piano and paint. I was bred to willingly put my owner's happiness before my own.

Until Penn. The handsome and rebellious son of the congressman who owns me, he's the only person who's seen past my perfect exterior to the girl underneath. Falling for him is forbidden. Falling for him is freeing.

But there's a dark underworld lurking beneath my pampered life. The only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn's family is escaping it, because if I fail, I face a fate far worse than death...

For fans of Kiera Cass's Selection series and Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden series, Perfected is a chilling look at what it means to be human, as well as a stunning celebration of the power of love to set us free, wrapped in a glamorous—and dangerous—bow.




----------
First line:
"Remember. You'll never be one of them," Miss Gellner says, repositioning each of us on our divans in the sitting room so our gowns draped elegantly around our crossed ankles.
----------
Source:
Netgalley
----------
Release Date:
July 1, 2014
----------
Rating:
5 pianos out of 5
----------
Perfected, like most dystopian novels, makes you question human morals and ethics. It makes you wonder if that's something that could actually happen in the future. Americans have turned to a different kind of slavery. But instead of the slaves working in miserable conditions, being beaten and abused, "pets" are spoiled and lavished but not allowed to have their own personality. They must always listen their masters and be at their beck and call.

Ella is one such pet. She's been bred and trained to be perfect, to always put her master's needs before her own, to not have a personality. She's not unhappy in her lifestyle, it's all she's ever known. She believes there's nothing better out there for her. She enjoys her new family. She was purchased to be a companion to a congressman's young daughter, Ruby. They also have a teenage son named Penn and a daughter attending law school, who isn't in the book much. Ella starts to develop a connection with Penn through music, which they are both passionate about.

I loved seeing Penn push Ella outside her comfort zone, to confront the wrongs that have been done to her. I was on the edge of my seat towards the end to know what happened. I really hope there's a sequel because I need to know what happened to everybody!!

If you loved the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver, Perfected is definitely the book for you.

Comments