Before I Wake (Soul Screamers #6) by Rachel Vincent

I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...  Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life....

-------------------
First line:
I was a virgin sacrifice.
-------------------
Format read:
Nook ebook

-----------
Rating:
5 stars out of 5

-------------------
   Rachel Vincent has created another amazing installment to the Soul Screamers series. We get to see a side of Kaylee we've never seen before. She's struggling to keep a front for her dad and friends but when she's alone, it all falls away. She doesn't feel alive and is extremely depressed.
   That said, the only time she does feel alive is when she's with Tod. Oh, how I love thee, Tod!! When I first read the series I never really saw Kaylee's relationship with Tod coming, until BAM! There it was and I immediately fell in love with him and realized how messed up and wrong Kaylee's relationship with Nash was. And then I went back and re-read the books and fell in love with the other Hudson boy. I came to realize that Nash and Kaylee's relationship was almost purely physical. And then in BIW, we get to see even more of Tod and Kaylee.
   I fell in love with it from the start, just as I have all the other books. I can't wait for With All My Soul (2013) and I really want to know what her new YA project is :)

Comments