GG5 Valentine's Excerpt

Ally Carter posted an excerpt from Out of Sight, Out of Time for Valentine's Days.
    "Tell me, Zach." I don't know if it was the wind or the adrenaline, but I shivered. "And don't lie to me."
    "I'm not lying!" he snapped, then took a deep breath. "Last summer, I did go looking for you. And when I couldn't find you, I went looking for my mom. And that's not exactly something I'm proud of."
     When I shivered again Zach took off his coat and tried to slip it around my shoulders, but I pushed his arm away.
    "Don't," I said.
    "Listen to me." He grabbed my arms, holding me here. "I couldn't find you. And I'll never forgive myself for that. Ever."
     Another car passed, and a new fear filled Zach's eyes. The sun was coming up. Light crept over the horizon, and I didn't want to think about the people trying to find me-both the good guys and the bad. Zach must have thought it too, because he grabbed my hand.
    "We're getting you out of here." He started to pull, but when we passed the opening of a narrow alley, I had to stop.
    "This way," I said, pointing down he dark pitch.
    "No, Cam, you're turned around. I followed you for six blocks, and I was the one who was conscious. Trust me, the safe house is-"
    "I have to go this way," I said and pulled harder, breaking free.
    I don't know how to describe it. I wasn't in a trance, and I wasn't afraid, but my feet were finding their own path as if pulled by some invisible string.
Source: Ally Carter

Comments